Saturday, June 4, 2011

Waaahooooo! Africa!

I ni Sogoma my friends!

Our group of 23 made it to Mali safely! We are staying in a beautiful compound, 3 people to a hut. The weather is hot, but not unbearable. We all slept well last night after long flights
I just took my language placement test in French and failed... don't tell Miss Haan! But it is okay because I will probably be learning Bambara and I am already better at that than French.

Our stage (The people who came with me, pronounced like in French) is really cool. I couldn't be happier with the people I will be spending the next two years with. There are even some cuties ;) Our group motto is "Things are about to get real" and "Things just got real". We have some funny kids in the group.

The negens (n like in onion) or bathrooms haven't been as bad as described, but I've also had experience doing business in the woods camping, so it's not much more difficult than that.
The food they have been feeding us is very good.

Last night there was not a veggie option, so I picked around the meat... I'm scared to take a real mouthfull, but I know it is inevitable.
I love you all so much and it makes me feel really loved that some of you have followed my blog. I am so grateful for your support.

Everything is better than I imagined, and I'm sure will continue to be great... until we all get diarrhea :)

Love, Jamie.

P.S. The keyboard here is really sticky from the dust, so Lily, you are def not allowed to judge my spelling now!

3 comments:

  1. I told you to start with the fish woman! Good luck! I'm glad that you made if safely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe! thanks for the shout out!

    sooo, you're not going to be living alone for 2 years?!?! If not, this makes me so relieved... Take pictures of the cuties please ;)

    Love you, Muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The People are asking for more...

    ReplyDelete